How to choose the right size for your digital signage screen?
Choosing the right size of your digital signage screen can be tricky. There are many variables involved. The most important ones are:
- information density: how much content are you planning to show on your digital signage screen at once?
- viewing distance: from what average distance will your audience be viewing your digital signage content?
With a bit of math, you can devise the right size for your digital signage screen. To help you with this, we created a tool that lets you:
- set the estimated number of text lines that you like to show; as a rules of thumb:
- headlines contain on average 3 lines of text
- news articles contain on average 10 lines of text
- menu boards contain on average 20 lines of text
- set the average viewing distance of your audience
Based on your input, we calculate three screen sizes for you. Pick one that best suits your intent:
- maximum impact of your message
- just well a readable sign
- the maximum amount of information in a limited space
Note that at the bottom you can switch between horizontal and vertical screen orientation or change the viewing distance unit from meters to feet.
Next to screen size we also show you an estimate of the average read time of a full screen in seconds. This is gives you an indication of how long a page with certain content should remain visible before potentially transitioning to the next page.
The above tool assumes that your audience is standing still. But what if your digital signage screen is outside and you also want to capture the attention of people walking, cycling or driving by? It’s hard to give an exact measure of how big your screen needs to be for certain speeds, because it also depends greatly on if your viewer is moving right up to the screen or if he/she is passing it by in the distance. So you will have to do some math yourself to find how much time the viewer will have the screen in sight at a certain speed and angle of movement and if this sufficiently covers the required read speed.
More factors to consider
Of course, the screen size is just one property of a screen that you need to take into account when making a choice. In the next blog post we will look at a number of other factors to take into account when choosing the best digital signage screen for your location.